[Freeipa-devel] Audit

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Jul 11 21:46:15 UTC 2008

Dmitri Pal wrote:
> Matthew Booth wrote:
>> Are there yet any documented plans for how audit data will be
>> transported from a client system to FreeIPA? Even better, is there
>> any code?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Matt
> There is no code at the moment but plans are to leverage AMQP for this.
> http://www.redhat.com/mrg/messaging/
AMPQ is likely to be the transport, however that does not define the
protocol on the transport (e.g. the byte stream data format). We need to
have a better idea of the data we are actually exchanging before we can
define this. However, it's likely to be a very simple model with
containers consisting of sets of key/value pairs.

Google just released a open source implementation of their "protocol
buffers", an efficient easy to use extensible data exchange format which
is currently supporting a large part of Google's infrastructure. At
first blush this seems to hold a lot of promise for exchanging audit
data (over a secure fault tolerant layer such as AMQP). But we're still
very much in a design phase on this.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>