[Freeipa-devel] ipa-kpasswd: segfault on startup

Frank Botte Frank.Botte at web.de
Tue Jul 22 16:30:07 UTC 2008

Hi list,

while playing around with free-ipa i had the problem, that ipa-kpasswd kept segfaulting on startup.
The problem started when i accidentally added a user that was already in the local userbase (/etc/passwd)

After poking around a little bit in the code i found out the following:

In line 1297 of ipa-kpasswd.c starts a for-loop that goes through a linked list of 'ifaddrs'. On my system one
of those ifaddrs contains a NULL pointer for 'tifa->ifa_addr' and this is where ipa-kapasswd segfaults.

I fixed the problem for me by simply checking if tifa->ifa_addr is a valid pointer (see patch)

I have no clue if this is just some weirdness in my system or if this is a real problem, so can somebody
with more knowledge please review my patch and include it if appropriate

bye
Frank

--
The problem with troubleshooting is sometimes the trouble shoots back !!
WEB.DE schenkt Ihnen jeden Monat einen hochkarätigen Blockbuster