[Freeipa-devel] hello there!

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Mon Jun 9 13:58:40 UTC 2008

Byambaa Mendbayar wrote:
> Dear freeIPA developers,
>
> I am new one in freeIPA planet.
>
> I want to use freeIPA for identity management of my local network. I have
> planning and trying to use and implement freeIPA for our LAN. Just in
> certain time I have reading documents and studying from freeIPA website.
>
> Then I have arisen few questions on freeIPA client configuration. Our LAN
> clients are using various OS such as Ubuntu linux, Opensuse 10.3 and Windows
> XP operating system in our LAN. I have found "Configuring IPA Clients"
> document at the http://www.freeipa.com/page/ClientConfigurationGuide URL.
> But there have not state a how to configure openSUSE and Ubuntu clients.
>
> My question is that how can I configure my opensuse and ubuntu clients to
> joining freeIPA server. Is it possible to configure those OS clients to the
> freeIPA?

Yes, it is possible, we just haven't created packages or documented how
yet. This is an area we could really use some help.

I would suspect that the documentation for Solaris, HP and AIX will be a
  good starting point.

Off the top of my head, you need to set up:

- /etc/krb5.conf to get basic Kerberos working. You should be able to do
kinit someuser at REALM once this is set up
- /etc/ldap.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf. You can use getent and/or id to
verify that this is working
- enable krb5 and ldap in pam

thanks

rob