[Freeipa-devel] contribution policy update, what's next

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Wed Aug 5 11:50:12 UTC 2009

On 08/04/2009 05:58 PM, Karsten Wade wrote:
> Yesterday I lurked on a call with Stephen Gallagher and Richard
> Fontana, legal expert on FLOSS licensing.
>
> Due to audio problems, I wasn't able to fully participate, but I did
> hear an implicit agreement to the contribution policy draft I wrote
> up.
>
> I think it may need a few tweaks; I'm going to propose some and get
> Richard back on the phone to get an explicit OK from him.
>
> Stephen -- since SSSD has it's own upstream space, do you want me to
> work up a draft contribution policy for there?  That is, I know your
> licensing questions are still open, but we can get a draft with
> alternate endings depending on potential outcomes.

Yes, that would be a good next step.

> == What's next ==
>
> With the CLA requirement removed, next I have to enumerate exactly
> where it stands as a barrier and figure out how to remove it.  There
> are some other technological barriers to reconsider.
>
> For any system we require a CLA for e.g. fedorahosted.org access, that
> is just a human check process, right?  We remove the CLA requirement
> when considering people for SCM access.
>
> For patches, we need to figure out how to structure it so that people
> can contribute patches via this list with it clear the patch is
> submitted under the contribution policy.  Perhaps a single sentence +
> URL at the beginning of each patch email?  It seems to me we could
> also have people add themselves to a list via the wiki (history proves
> the real user did it), and if you are on there, you don't need to
> include the sentence in your patches.  Obviously a better solution is
> needed, meaning we need to run our own directory or rely more upon an
> external (e.g. Fedora Account System).  We might be able to get by
> with OpenID, for example.

Editing the SSSD wiki already requires a Fedora account, so if we go
with the "adding your name to a wiki page" idea, I think that's probably
completely sufficient. On the other hand, having a Fedora account
already implies that you have signed the Fedora CLA.

> For the wiki, we can remove the human requirement, but we still have a
> technical barrier for entry.  It would be smoothest if people could:
>
> 1. Sign up for an account
> 2. In that sign-up they read the contribution policy and agree to it
>    as part of signing up
> 3. They get wiki edit access
>
> All automatic with no human intervention required.
>
> Figuring out solutions there is my next important task once we have a
> solid contribution policy to refer to.
>
> Meanwhile, if we can widen the field of people with "Create wiki users
> upon request", that would be good.  I volunteer.  Maybe for now an
> email request for access to a freeipa-* list would suffice?
>
> - Karsten

Our present wiki comes to us through the Fedorahosted servers, and as
such relies on the users having a Fedora account themselves. Do you feel
that this restriction is to severe?