[Freeipa-devel] Ubuntu interests in FreeIPA

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Jul 2 00:41:17 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 09:30:30AM -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 19:20 -0400, Mathias Gug wrote:
> >
> >  My question is how tight are FreeIPA and 389 Directory Server coupled?
>
> Very, we use many features of 389DS and a good amount of plugins not
> available for openldap. It would require a quite substantial amount of
> work and testing just to port the slapi plugins.

Mathias:

With your better connection to the Ubuntu packaging community, do you
think there is someone out there already who might want to package
389DS?[1]  You might find an unexpected collaborator.

From the replies so far, it sounds far more complicated to wed FreeIPA
to OpenLDAP than it is to get all of 389DS and SSSD in to Debian.  (Do
I have that pathway right?  Or does Ubuntu maintain a separate source
package repo from Debian with additional packages?)

cheers - Karsten

[1] AIUI, one of the explicit reasons for rebranding to 389DS was to
    stop people thinking it is just for Fedora-the-Linux-distro.  I'm
    sure there are interested people out there who want to help get
    389DS in to Debian/Ubuntu.
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41