[Freeipa-devel] NOTICE: new backend pushed

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Thu Jul 2 17:50:17 UTC 2009

I just pushed about 20 patches that officially switches to Pavel's new
LDAP backend. This removes the object-based LDAP model we used in v1 and
had ported to v2.

This significantly improves our automated search filter writing so we
should be able to do lots of new and clever things and make the *-find
commands much smarter.

It also adds a slew more base classes for us to subclass from, making
plugin programming even simpler.

The old model still exists in the tree because it is used by the
installer, ipa-ldap-updater and the replication utilities. Those will be
migrated over to something new over time.

It passes all of our unit tests and I ran through a bunch of other
manual tests so I think in general it is pretty solid.

One major change from the user perspective is that the data coming out
will be both more verbose and more consistent (gotta love inheritance).
Otherwise it should work more or less the same as the old plugin. The
one different is the automount commands have been renamed but we'll
argue that point next week :-)

I'm so convinced this is solid that I'm pushing it out the day before a
3-day holiday weekend in the U.S. How is that for confidence.

Kudos to Pavel for the good work.

rob