[Freeipa-devel] Re: Encoding of Kerberos principal

Don Davis dodavis at redhat.com
Wed Jul 8 15:13:42 UTC 2009

On 07/08/2009 10:48 AM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> I think the best course of action, at the moment, is to consider using
> only utf-8 when we generate something and treat as blobs names coming
> from outside the framework (with getters that tentatively try to return
> a Unicode string).
>
> Using anything but utf-8 is doomed to fail in spectacular ways.
hi, simo --

p.53 of thr krb spec (rfc4120) says accepting utf-8 is sorta ok,
but if the kdc _generates_ anything that's not ascii per se, then
interoperability will fail.  further, i expect even handling utf-8
as a blob will break down at times, when we're trying to convert
between AD-style names, NT-style names, and MIT-style names.

                                                   - don

-