[Freeipa-devel] SSSD Translation Process

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Mon Jul 13 12:33:37 UTC 2009

On 07/13/2009 08:28 AM, Sumit Bose wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 07:33:22AM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

>>> pushed

>>> We always need to insure the latter, although I personally prefer the
>>> former I think we decided that it is not required.
>>>
>>> Simo.
>>>
>> In the ReleaseProcess wiki page that I put together and no one seemed to
>> read, I addressed this. Updating the *.po[t] files will be part of the
>> release process during the "Prepare the sources" step.
>>
>> https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/ReleaseProcess
>>
>> I think this makes the most sense as it dictates a way to ensure that
>> all releases are up-to-date with the translations.
>>

> I have read the page, but I have asked, because I wondered how the
> people who will translate the messages are working. I would expect that
> they/their tool will check out the *.pot and *.po files from the sssd
> repository, add their translations and commit the new *.po files back
> some way or the other. If we want to have up-to-date translations with a
> release and not only current *.pot and *.po files the translators need
> to have them before the release is tagged.
>
> If the translators will check out the whole tree, update the *.pot and
> *.po files on their own and send all modified *.pot and *.po files back
> then we only need to check that everything is valid at release time.
>
> bye,
> Sumit

Hmm, that's a good point. We should probably create a separate process
document for translators. I think what you said has merit. The process
for translators should be something like:

Check out the latest sources. Run 'make dist' to ensure that the
translatable strings and locations are up-to-date. Do your translations.
Submit for code review. Before check-in, make sure to rebase to the
latest code and run 'make dist' again.

Then the release engineer is only responsible for being concerned with
line-number changes.

- --
Stephen Gallagher
RHCE 804006346421761