[Freeipa-devel] SSSD Translation Process

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Mon Jul 13 15:37:52 UTC 2009

On 07/13/2009 08:33 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> On 07/13/2009 08:28 AM, Sumit Bose wrote:

>>> In the ReleaseProcess wiki page that I put together and no one seemed to
>>> read, I addressed this. Updating the *.po[t] files will be part of the
>>> release process during the "Prepare the sources" step.
>>>
>>> https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/ReleaseProcess
>>>
>>> I think this makes the most sense as it dictates a way to ensure that
>>> all releases are up-to-date with the translations.
>>>
>> I have read the page, but I have asked, because I wondered how the
>> people who will translate the messages are working. I would expect that
>> they/their tool will check out the *.pot and *.po files from the sssd
>> repository, add their translations and commit the new *.po files back
>> some way or the other. If we want to have up-to-date translations with a
>> release and not only current *.pot and *.po files the translators need
>> to have them before the release is tagged.
>>
>> If the translators will check out the whole tree, update the *.pot and
>> *.po files on their own and send all modified *.pot and *.po files back
>> then we only need to check that everything is valid at release time.
>>
>> bye,
>> Sumit
>>

> Hmm, that's a good point. We should probably create a separate process
> document for translators. I think what you said has merit. The process
> for translators should be something like:
>
> Check out the latest sources. Run 'make dist' to ensure that the
> translatable strings and locations are up-to-date. Do your translations.
> Submit for code review. Before check-in, make sure to rebase to the
> latest code and run 'make dist' again.
>
> Then the release engineer is only responsible for being concerned with
> line-number changes.

The Fedora localization project (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N)
has specific procedures for how translators interact with the SCM of the
project they are providing translations for. My suggestion would be to
depend on the Fedora translators and to follow their procedures.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/