[Freeipa-devel] SSSD Translation Process

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Jul 13 21:15:27 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:37:52AM -0400, John Dennis wrote:

> The Fedora localization project (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N)
> has specific procedures for how translators interact with the SCM of the
> project they are providing translations for. My suggestion would be to
> depend on the Fedora translators and to follow their procedures.

So, let's talk about L10n.

Fortunately, the means and methods are much similar to what Red Hat
has done all along.  A key piece is Transifex, which is a (web)
service that sits between your SCM and a translation community.
Fedora's instance is here:

https://translate.fedoraproject.org/

In general, the translators work against the schedule set by the
developers, such as the Fedora Linux or GNOME release schedules.  This
includes many individual software packages that also release with
Fedora, such as the system-config-* set of tools.  Those developers
release to the same drumbeat as Fedora overall, so can coordinate in
unison with translators.

In my experience, what translators do to a schedule is insert
additional milestone activites.  In particular, string freeze that is
really frozen and not slushy.  For example, in Fedora Docs we've
preferred to be late with our freeze than to risk breaking it later.

Steve, you said in IRC this morning that you'd like to coordinate the
FreeIPA side.  How about if we meet on #fedora-l10n and bend the ears
of a few people there (diegobz, glezoz, vpv, et al)?  Turn my loose
assurances in to actual process, etc.  We can hit their mailing list
and set a specific time, if it helps; folks there are in many
timezones (South America, Greece India, Australia, etc.)  Alternately,
if you want to join fedora-trans-list, we can discuss async.

cheers - Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41