[Freeipa-devel] per-group password policy proposal

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Thu Jun 11 13:02:52 UTC 2009

Dmitri Pal wrote:
> Rob Crittenden wrote:
>> So am I on the right track here?
>
> I am not sure.
> I was envisioning it quite differently.
> The ambiguity in this case critical and might be not acceptable since it
> would be hard to determine which policy should be used in case user is a
> member of different groups.

Ok, the requirement that caused me to look at was:

* Allow setting different password policies per different
(non-overlapping) groups of users.

> Management of priorities is also a pain and creates complex  UI and CLI.
> I was more thinking about having a specific policy per user. AFAIR the
> software can check the user related password policy attributes right now
> without any changes to the code. There attributes just not there. So we
> need to give admin the ability to set them. I was thinking that defining
> password policies is a bulk operation that updates specific users that
> belong to a group and creates the attributes in the user entries. If we
> do it this way we would be able to say:
>
> Password policy is XYZ.
> Apply this password policy to users in this group (including or not
> including sub groups) for those users that do not have the policy set or
> for all users in the given group.
> There might be other conditions for the query.

This would be slow if a lot of users are affected.

> In such case it is easy to control who gets the policy when the policy
> is defined and easy to determine what policy is active for the user (for
> audit purposes) since there is no ambiguity.

There is no ambiguity in my method either though audit does bring up
some interesting points because we don't track changes so knowing what
the policy was at any given point in time is impossible.

rob