[Freeipa-devel] About FreeIPA Blurb

JR Aquino JR.Aquino at citrix.com
Wed Apr 13 20:23:32 UTC 2011

On Apr 13, 2011, at 1:00 PM, Dmitri Pal wrote:

> On 04/13/2011 11:34 AM, Adam Young wrote:
>> The FreeIPA.org Landing page needs a better description of the
>> project.  Can anyone suggest a One-Three line description that orients
>> people to FreeIPA, assuming they know little/nothing about the
>> project?  Exl;ainig that it integrates Kerbers an LDAp is the second
>> step, but it really is an implementation detail.
>>
>> I typacilly tell people that we do for Linux systems what Active
>> Directory does for Windows systems.  This explanation works for people
>> familiar with AD, and then we can talk about how IPA is built on open
>> source code and open standards.
>>

>> The closest we have4 right now is
>>
>> "FreeIPA is an integrated security information management solution
>> ..."  this is a good start, but is a little generic.
>>
>> I'll throw this out as a strawman:
>>
>> FreeIPA is a centralized management solution for Users and Computers.
>> Built on Open Standards and open source software, IPA allows you to
>> securely  establish policy for access to the resources in your
>> organization.
>>

> FreeIPA is a centralized identity management and authentication solution
> built on open standards leveraging proven technologies. It is a
> authentication and identity hub with focus towards the needs of the
> Linux/Unix clients.

FreeIPA is a scalable centralized identity management framework.
It is built on open standards that provide authentication and authorization with a focus towards the needs of the Linux/Unix clients .

---
Scalable authorization is a big one that has yet to be properly solved in the Linux Community for a central directory.
It should be captured in our description.