[Freeipa-devel] Structured DNS record API proposal

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Tue Sep 20 14:02:42 UTC 2011

This discussion got me thinking, always a dangerous proposal:

We are currently exposing record add with the lie  that  when you add a
record, it has a type.  THe reality is that a record is just this big
collection of multi value attributes, and each of those  is the "type"
of the record.

If all of the 'records'  have the same idnsname, then they really fall
under the same Record object in LDAP.

What if we focuses on the attribtutes themselves, and add the type info
there.

Pie in the sky proposal.   Treat it as a starting point:

 From the webui perspective
dnsrecord-add   allows the case where it just has the the idnsname with
no "records"

dnsrecordattr-mod  takes record type specific values.

To add a location entry:

ipa dnsrecordattr-mod --append location --lat-deg=INT --lat-min=INT --lat-sec=FLOAT --lat-dir=ENUM --lon-deg=INT --lon-min=INT --lon-sec=FLOAT --lon-dir=ENUM --alt=FLOAT --h-precision=FLOAT --v-precision=FLOAT

And to remove it

ipa dnsrecordattr-mod --remove location --lat-deg=INT --lat-min=INT --lat-sec=FLOAT --lat-dir=ENUM --lon-deg=INT --lon-min=INT --lon-sec=FLOAT --lon-dir=ENUM --alt=FLOAT --h-precision=FLOAT --v-precision=FLOAT

mod2 is expected to work on a single attribute at a time.