[Freeipa-devel] Structured DNS record API proposal - summary

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Thu Sep 22 12:24:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-09-21 at 11:22 +0200, Martin Kosek wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I think for each record value the primary keys are the zone name, record
> > name, and the value itself. To simplify operations, we should use the
> > value as a single string. For CLI, users can copy & paste the value more
> > easily.
>
> Agreed. As Adam Tkac suggested, we can simplify this with interactive
> prompt so that user doesn't have to copy&paste, but just choose a record
> to -show/-mod.
>

> > For UI it depends whether (1) we're going to keep the current edit page
> > where all records with the same name are considered a single entry, or
> > whether (2) we're going to edit each record value in a separate page.
> > See ticket #1478.
> >
> > If we stay with (1), the link to the edit page consists of zone name and
> > record name only. But if we pick (2) the link consists of zone name,
> > record name, value, and type (which can be obtained from -find output).
>
> This is more of a UXD decision, server API will remain intact. I just
> see 2 issues here:
>
> 1) If you let user edit multiple structured DNS records, you would have
> to call dnsrecord-<rr-type>-show multiple times so that you can populate
> all the fields. This can slow down things.
>
> 2) Some DNS records may be pretty large. MX record data is small, but
> for example CERT records have an entire certificate stored in it.
> Wouldn't there be a problem if we place the large DNS record in URL?

> > For consistency, the record value should be specified as an argument
> > instead of an option (like in automount). So it will be like this:
> >
> > dnsrecord-mx-show "example.com" "@" "1 mx1.example.com."
> > PREFERENCE: 1
> > MAILSERVER: mx2.example.com
>
> This can be done.
>

> > If we stay with (1) the UI will have to call the dnsrecord-<rrtype>-show
> > for each value to get the value of each fields. The UI will need to
> > implement a new widget (or section) that can handle multiple fields
> > which will be duplicated for each value.
>
> Ah, yes - as I wrote above. This would also take more time to process.
>

> > The edit page for (2) is much simpler since it only needs to handle a
> > single type at a time. The output of the -show command will be used to
> > populate each field.

> > When updating the value, option (1) is a bit more complicated because
> > the UI will have to find the dirty record and then find the dirty field.
> > Option (2) is simpler because it will only need to find the dirty field,
> > but both will execute the following command:
> >
> > dnsrecord-mx-mod "example.com" "@" "1 mx1.example.com." --preference=0
> >
> > I think option (2) is more clear to users because we only have to
> > introduce 2 concepts: zone and record (which is the individual value).
> > With option (1) we will have to explain the underlying LDAP entry that
> > will be deleted automatically when the last record value is deleted.
> >

> When I look at it, option (2) looks better for our case.

I think this entire discussion became too academic. I would like to make
it more down to earth :-) Adam proposed new complex attributes, IMHO it
should be discussed separately from this API proposal. I gave it some
thought and I just don't see the benefits that it would bring to DNS.
Personally, I would like to continue with API that was proposed so far.

Summary of the steps for new DNS types:

1) New API shall be implemented only for non-DNSSEC resource record (RR)
types that are supported by bind-dyndb-ldap.
DNSSEC RR types to be left unimplemented: DS, KEY, NSEC, RRSIG, SIG
Unsupported RR types to be removed at all: APL, DHCID, DLV, DNSKEY, HIP,
IPSECKEY, NSEC3, NSEC3PARAM, RP, TA, TKEY, TSIG
In future, DNSSEC attributes should be generated automatically. But let
us leave this discussion to the future.

2) -add commands shall be implemented for structured RR types:

> ipa dnsrecord-afsdb-add --subtype=INT --hostname=STR
> ipa dnsrecord-cert-add --type=ENUM --tag=INT --algorithm=ENUM --certificate=STR
> ipa dnsrecord-kx-add --preference=INT --exchanger=STR
> ipa dnsrecord-loc-add --lat-deg=INT --lat-min=INT --lat-sec=FLOAT --lat-dir=ENUM --lon-deg=INT --lon-min=INT --lon-sec=FLOAT --lon-dir=ENUM --alt=FLOAT --h-precision=FLOAT --v-precision=FLOAT
> ipa dnsrecord-mx-add --priority=INT --mailserver=STR
> ipa dnsrecord-naptr-add --order=INT --preference=INT --flag=ENUM --service=STR --regexp=STR --replacement=STR
> ipa dnsrecord-srv-add --priority=INT --weight=INT --port=INT --target=STR
> ipa dnsrecord-sshfp-add --algorithm=ENUM --type=ENUM --fingerprint=STR

OPEN QUESTION: should we implement these new commands also for discrete
DNS records types to be consistent? I mean for example A, AAAA, CNAME,
PTR, ... They would look like

> ipa dnsrecord-aaaa-add --ip-address=IPAddress

BENEFITS of this approach (command per RR type):
- use can get all help for RR type by simply typing "ipa help
dnsrecord-mx-add"
- we would be able to implement helper methods consistently on one
place, for example:
dnsrecord-aaaa-add --from-mac=00:1D:BA:06:37:64

3) -show commands shall be implemented for structured RR types:
These commands will let UI populate the (text) fields, ENUMs, etc. They
would look this way

> ipa dnsrecord-mx-show ZONE NAME VALUE

For example:
> dnsrecord-mx-show "example.com" "@" "1 mx1.example.com."

OPEN QUESTION: should we implement also -find methods
(dnsrecord-mx-find) so that UI can for example populate text fields for
all (MX) records for one DNS name?

4) -mod commands shall be implemented for structured RR types:
API would be almost the same as with -add commands. User (WebUI) would
just have to identify which record should be modified:
a) by copy&passing the raw DNS value directly to the command:

> dnsrecord-mx-mod example.com @ "1 mx1.example.com." --preference=0

b) (CLI only) by using an interactive wizard that would let user choose
the modified record like this way:

> dnsrecord-mx-mod example.com @ --preference=0
Which record would you like to change?
[1] 1 mx1.example.com.
[2] 10 mx2.example.com.
DNS record: <user enters the number>

I have already implemented an interactive wizard like this for
dnsrecord-del and it works fine.

Martin