[Freeipa-devel] FreeIPA string freeze

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Wed Apr 10 12:27:44 UTC 2013

Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:37:10 +0300 було написано Petr Viktorin
<pviktori at redhat.com>:

> On 04/08/2013 05:54 PM, Yuri Chornoivan wrote:
>> написане Mon, 08 Apr 2013 18:45:30 +0300, Petr Viktorin
>> <pviktori at redhat.com>:
>>
>>> Hello, FreeIPA translators!
>>>
>>> We wanted to give enough time for translations, so we made an upstream
>>> string freeze last week, giving about two weeks of translation time
>>> until the beta.
>>> We didn't expect most of the translations to be done already --
>>> Ukrainian at 100% and French with 40 strings missing. Thank you!!
>>>
>>> Meanwhile we have some fixes upstream that add/change additional
>>> strings that would have to be postponed for the next release.
>>> How much would it inconvenience you if instead of postponing the
>>> patches, we'd push each change to Transifex as it is pushed to master?
>>>
>>> In the past Jèrôme said that updating continuously would be better
>>> than the string freezes and mass updates we do now. We don't have
>>> resources to automate that*, but for slipping a few strings past
>>> string freeze it could work.
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Surely, it would be good to have fixes now (as well as some announce in
>> trans at lists.fedoraproject.org ).
>>
>> And I'm all of the Jèrôme's proposal. It is enough to have updates every
>> 3-4 months. That will make the translation process significantly easier.
>>

> Okay. I've pushed the updates to Transifex (7 new strings, expect a
> couple more), and I'll do some more frequent updates in the future.

Thanks for your work.

> I've lurked on trans at lists.fedoraproject.org for a while and haven't
> seen many announcements from projects. Is it the right list to
> communicate string freezes/deadlines/releases?

Yes. This is the right list for Fedora translation announces. Personally,
I do not know why other Fedora Upstream projects do not announce their
translation dates in this list. It is easy to send a message there and
target Fedora translation coordinators of many languages at once.

Yes, it might happen that you will not obtain much translations at once,
but I cannot imagine the other way to contact new translators.

Such strategy (regular announces in translator's mailing lists) works fine
in many projects (KDE, GNOME, Audacity etc.) It's a win-win situation. You
cannot lose if you make even one-sentence announces and do it regularly.

Best regards,
Yuri