[Freeipa-devel] Troubleshooting FreeIPA

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Wed Dec 11 12:10:52 UTC 2013

On 12/04/2013 03:31 PM, Dmitri Pal wrote:
> On 12/04/2013 07:11 AM, Martin Kosek wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have started a Troubleshooting page which should help FreeIPA users
>> troubleshoot and report bugs. The first attempt can be found here:
>>
>> http://www.freeipa.org/page/Troubleshooting
>>
>> This is mostly a brain dump of the most common issues I could think of. I would
>> like to ask developers to help me extend it and add more information as it
>> should help us a better portion of user issues before they even ask + if they
>> ask, the page should help them attach the right data.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
> This is a good start.
> I suggest we have a template section - a checklist that would help
> people to prepare an email to the list.
> Here is a proposed outline with example data:
>
> Distro/OS with version: Fedora 19
> Component: IPA server
> Feature: Certificate management
> Package version(s): ipa_..._3.0_..._.rpm
> Problem description: Certificates are not renewed.
> What I have tried:
> Looked at X, here is output
> Looked at Y, here is output
> Corresponding sanitized logs:
> <log1 verbatim, or a link to some other place like pastebin>
> <log2 ...>
>
> Urgency: I found a workaround but it would be nice to get it fixed.
> Recommendations: May be a message should be more clear like this "blah,
> blah..."
>

> Did I miss anything?

Good idea, I would not enforce a strict template for issues reported in free
form by mail, but we should specify all the information that we *expect* user
to include.

I wrote a list of required items (based on your template) which should be the
core of the user's report:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Troubleshooting#Reporting_bugs

Martin