[Freeipa-devel] Fedora 20 Release

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Mon Dec 16 20:14:06 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-12-16 at 10:16 -0700, Rich Megginson wrote:
> On 12/16/2013 10:12 AM, Petr Spacek wrote:

> >> Because that's how RPM is built. When Epoch value is absent it is
> >> assumed to be equal to 0.
> >> 1.3.1.18-1 will be equal to 0:1.3.1.18-1 and less than 1.3.2.8-1,
> >> however, 1:1.3.1.18-1 will be greater than 1.3.2.8-1 because the latter
> >> is equal to 0:1.3.2.8-1.
> >>
> >> Once epoch is there, it is to stay.
> >
> > Anyway, is it a real problem? Personally, I consider it like
> > yet-another-version-number.
> >
> > On my Fedora 19:
> > $ repoquery -qa | wc -l
> > 46645
> > (packages in total)
> >
> > $ repoquery -qa | grep -- '-[1-9][0-9]*:' | wc -l
> > 6581
> > (packages with non-zero epoch)
> >
> No, not a real problem, but just one more hassle I'd rather not have to
> deal with.

Yes it is a real problem, it is extremely confusing to people, because
it is not in the rpm file name.

It should be avoided if at all possible, and it is an unremovable tattoo
once you have it on.

So a decision to add an epoch number should never be taken lightly.

If you do not understand why, you should probably not set epochs.