[Freeipa-devel] [SSSD] FreeIPA on Debian

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Tue Sep 3 17:39:30 UTC 2013

As a possible approach to getting things started, would it be possible
to use Alien and a JEOS install to get the FreeIPA server running on a
Debian system, and then work on  converting over the dependencies one at
a time?

It seems like there are likely to be a series of Debian vs Fedora
issues, WRT things like Python Path (lib vs lib64) and so forth.

Also, the Dogtag install is a very Custom way of configuring a Tomcat
App.  It is likely to But up against the Debian packaging standards for
Java Web Apps:  http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep7/

One other difference between the Debian and Fedora philosophies is that,
after apt-get install, you tend to have a deployed service, whereas the
Yum/RPM based approach calls for a post deployment configuration stage.

It sounds like the effort should be split along the Core FreeIPA work
and the Dogtag work.  We used to have a "Self-Signed" Ca approach for
IPA that would be useful to have again.  With the current "External CA"
work, we might be able to do something similar:  generate the
certificates we need in a self-signed manner and provide them to the IPA
server.  That will let the Dogtag effort continue without holding up the
rest of the work.