[Freeipa-devel] FreeIPA server package group

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Fri Sep 6 06:26:52 UTC 2013

On 09/05/2013 07:50 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Martin Kosek wrote:

>>> I included it there.
>>>
>>> If anyone else wants to chime in, please do now, I'll create a ticket with
>>> rel-eng at the end of the day.
>>>

>> Thanks for this effort. What is the status of the bug - did you create the
>> request already?
>>
>> We will need to do one more change and remove freeipa-server-strict package as
>> up on the decision on today's developer meeting we decided to drop this
>> subpackage in Fedora 20 and later and depend on our new FreeIPA Continuous
>> Integration system instead.
>
> I missed that meeting so maybe I'm re-hashing things, but I don't see how CI
> solves the problem that the strict subpackage does. Sure, it won't be as much a
> surprise to us when other packages are updated, but this doesn't prevent a user
> from also updating to the package. The strict package prevents upgrade until
> we've confirmed that things are actually working. CI does not.

CI should prevent problems at the begging, before they happen - right when the
new Dogtag/Kerberos/389-ds-base is in updates-testing. That gives a change to
give negative Karma and have that package fixed before it hits stable updates.

IMO freeipa-server-strict subpackage is too heavy weight and does not provide
the benefit we would want. So far, IMHO, it was rather a burden for maintainers
and broke quite frequently.

Martin