[Freeipa-devel] Forward zone V4/Design draft

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Thu Apr 17 13:22:08 UTC 2014

On 04/17/2014 02:51 PM, Martin Basti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I created draft to split forward and master zone.
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Forward_zones#Questions
>
> There is question: should it be implemented as new command set, or as
> --type={master|forward} parameter only. For details see link above in
> section Questions.
>

> Martin^2 Basti

When I was discussing this with Martin, using a separate command seemed like
the best idea to me. Trying to cram both zones to one command would just
introduce all sort of hacks and workarounds in the framework.

Both DNS zones have different main objectclass, different set of required and
optional attributes and IMO cramming them all to one command would just make it
confusing (and the API as well). If you look for example at how AD organizes
DNS zones, it also does not cram all the zones to one view, but have 2
"folders" for Forward Lookup zones and for Conditional Forwarded zones.

Feedback welcome.

Martin