[Freeipa-devel] Managed permission versioning

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Mon Apr 21 12:39:14 UTC 2014

Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-04-17 at 18:25 -0400, Rob Crittenden wrote:
>> Simo Sorce wrote:

>>> Sorry I don't get this, if they are new features, then the version will
>>> be "older" and the update *will* run and at the end raise the version.
>>>
>>> We just prevent old updates from running and current updates from
>>> running multiple times, for the shared tree.
>>>
>>> Do we depend on having updates run multiple times for the data in the
>>> shared tree ?
>>>
>>> Note that I am not saying that all updates should stop, any update for
>>> cn=config would still need to be run on each server (although setting a
>>> version there too would probably be beneficial).
>>
>> Ok, so the update runs, adds data, which gets replicated out to
>> potentially old servers, and we're at the place you said we wouldn't be.
>
> I am not following you, the aim here is not to avoid replicating new
> data to old server, the aim is that if you update the rpm of an older
> replica and the rpm runs the ldap updater with the *old* code, we do not
> end up with that updater *undoing* what a more recent update did.
>
>> Updates are all loaded and sorted so that all changes to a given DN
>> should be applied at once, so it isn't like applying a old update and a
>> new update are two separate operations. In fact, it would likely be a
>> no-op in the case that they have already been applied.
>>
>> Do you have any examples to clarify your concerns? I'm not following you.
>
> Sure at some point version freeipa version 4.2 is released and it has an
> update that changes a default object so that now attribute 'foo' is
> added, this is done through the updater.
>
> Later on we release freeipa version 5.0 and we realize we will have
> again to remove attribute 'foo' because we never really needed it, plus
> if it is still there it causes issues to new feature XYZ.
>
> The admin installs 5.0 and all are happy, then a week later he runs a
> simply yum update on th eolder replicas still running 4.2 and 4.2.1 is
> available, and gets installed and ... bah the 4.2.1 updater re-adds
> attribute 'foo' back ... and 5.0 servers are now broken.
>
> If we have an updater version field when the 4.2.1 update goes on it
> will see that all updates that were necessary (and more) have already
> been added and just quits.

Ok, this won't happen in a modify case. When changing data we only
change a known existing value, so exact match is required.

The only risk is in adding and deleting data.

So if we delete a permission named "Do cool stuff" in 5.0 and that was
something previously added in 4.2 then yeah, re-running the 4.2 updates
will re-apply the data. Similarly deletes would always be applied.

I would not be keen on adding a global version value though, as we've
had issues with updates in the past where re-running the updater would
fix things. This would short circuit that.

Something more fine-grained might work but carries its own problems.

rob