[Freeipa-devel] new developer; development environment

Fraser Tweedale ftweedal at redhat.com
Wed Apr 30 06:21:30 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Fraser Tweedale, brand new Red Hatter, working in the Brisbane
office on FreeIPA/Dogtag, and needing the wisdom of seasoned IPA
developers on how best to set things up.

In particular, is it common to be developing in VMs, and if so, do
the various components (DS, Dogtag, IPA etc) under (or involved in)
development reside on the same host?  Are there any developer images
that are ready to roll?

Or if it is more common to simply develop on one's workstation
directly, do you have any tips to doing this sanely?  freeipa seemed
find to build but the pki build seems to want root, which scares me
a little... but perhaps I am just Doing It Wrong.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and I look forward to getting to
you know you all.

Cheers,

Fraser