[Freeipa-devel] Ipsilon vs. FedOAuth

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Thu Aug 7 16:21:40 UTC 2014

On 23.7.2014 11:14, Petr Spacek wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have noticed that Fedora is heavily using project FedOAuth:
>
> Federated Open Authentication
> "FedOAuth is a provider for federated authentication mechanisms with a modular
> authentication backend."
>
> It sounds somewhat similar to our Ipsilon project and it is also written in
> Python.
>
> Maybe it would be beneficial to somehow cooperate ...

There is silence like in a grave so I have tried to contact FedOAuth people in
https://github.com/FedOAuth/FedOAuth/issues/61

And I have got a reply!

"
 > It seems that FedOAuth and Ipsilon projects are somehow similar. Maybe it
would be beneficial to cooperate and possibly share some code.
[...]

Hi, this would certainly be interesting.
I've got SAML, OpenID, OpenID Connect and Persona providers currently, and for
backends I currently have the Fedora Account System, a preconfigured user,
LDAP, kerberos and a database-backed module.
What was your exact idea for collaboration?
"
https://github.com/FedOAuth/FedOAuth/issues/61#issuecomment-50056634

 From this text, it seems that FedOAuth is light years away (more mature) than
Ipsilon - and FedOAuth is actually used in production now (by Fedora
infrastructure).

So the inevitable questions are:
- What can Ipsilon do and what can't be done with FedOAuth?
- Can we simply add missing features to FedOAuth?
I.e.
- Is it worth to spend more time on Ipsilon?

Sorry Simo, this is not a meant as personal attack! :-)

--
Petr^2 Spacek