[Freeipa-devel] OpenLMI integration

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Tue Aug 19 15:11:21 UTC 2014

Hello,

As some might have heard there are plans to refactor our approach to how
IPA server instances are installed and managed. Right now the procedures
for server installation imply administrator presence and interaction. In
the automated environments that does not work quite well. So we did some
evaluation and decided that it would make sense to make IPA be capable
of managing its on cluster as well as to be able to deploy IPA from an
external system using tools of your preference without imposing too much
knowledge of IPA internals on these tools. OpenLMI approach seems like
the best available so we reached out to OpenLMI project to get some
guidance.
The following page is the summary of the architecture we managed to work
out with OpenLMI guys. This is a high level architecture. The goal of
the page is to define the parts of the solution and summarize the scope
of effort. The plan is to handle it in FreeIPA 4.2 so whoever is going
to be in charge of the implementation of different componants would
probably create specific pages or sections for those components and fill
the rest of the template per component.

Comments and suggestions welcome but I would suggest we refrain from
diving into design and implementation until somone actually picks up
this feature in several months. Right now let us focus on making sure that:
a) Approach makes sense
b) Architecture is sound
c) Components and interfaces are not missing
d) All core elements of the feature outlined

Link - http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/IPA_Server_Management_via_OpenLMI

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal