[Freeipa-devel] topology management question

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Sun Dec 7 15:25:06 UTC 2014

Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 14:33:09 +0100
> Ludwig Krispenz <lkrispen at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> I just have another (hopefully this will end soon) issue I want to
>> get your input. (please read to teh end first)
>>
>> To recapture the conditions:
>> -  the topology plugin manages the connections between servers as
>> segments in the shared tree
>> - it is authoritative for managed servers, eg it controls all
>> connections between servers listed under cn=masters,
>>    it is permissive for connection to other servers
>> - it rejects any removal of a segment, which would disconnect the
>> topology.
>> - a change in topology can be applied to any server in the topology,
>> it will reach the respective servers and the plugin will act upon it
>>
>> Now there is a special case, causing a bit of trouble. If a replica
>> is to be removed from the topology, this means that
>> the replication agreements from and to this replica should be
>> removed, the server should be removed from the manages servers.
>> The problem is that:
>> - if you remove the server first, the server becomes unmanaged and
>> removal of the segment will not trigger a removal of the replication
>> agreement

I had another, sort of unrelated thought about this, thinking about
deleting servers.

What happens if a replication conflict entry gets added?

While both exist I imagine that the actual agreement would reflect
whichever entry is processed last. Probably not the end of the world.

But how do you remove the conflict entry without also potentially
deleting that master?

rob