[Freeipa-devel] git branching after 4.0

Petr Viktorin pviktori at redhat.com
Fri Jul 4 16:37:41 UTC 2014

I'm afraid this mail is not very clear for people who didn't participate
in discussions behind these plans.

The planning of future work is of course Red Hat specific -- we can't
dictate how others spend their time. Read our plans as "here's roughly
what we want to do, does it fit in with your plans?"

Let me provide a few links and clarifications so everyone can follow
along or join in!

Milestones are here: https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/report/3

> 2) FreeIPA 4.1 "small" development - 4.1 will be just a short release
> for the summer focused on Views, full support of DNSSEC, OTP local high
> watermark, Backup and Restore and other small features (and possibly
> also CA management tool).
>
> 3) FreeIPA 4.2 big development - this is a longer, more in the future
> (read Fedora 22 time frame) development with major features going in -
> Vault, User provisioning, publishing CA certs to clients and many others
> stuff still being scoped. It will include for example big updates to
> installers which should not go to more stable 4.1/4.0.x releases.
>
> How to handle that in git repo? Given that we do not do merge commits, I
> think the easiest way would be to:
>
> - When 4.0 releases, create ipa-4-0 and ipa-4-1 branches. This will
> leave us with master, ipa-4-1, ipa-4-0 active branches
> - 4.2 team will commit their work to master only
> - 4.1 team will commit their work to master, ipa-4-1
> - 4.0.x bugfixing team will commit their work to master, ipa-4-1 and
> ipa-4-0

+1
We just need to make sure the work won't overlap too much.

> This may sound complicated, but with Petr's ipatool pushing to multiple
> branches should be easy. Our CI should guard at least ipa-4-0 and
> ipa-4-1 branches for the summer (instead of ipa-3-3 and master) to
> report failures early.

My ipatool is available here: https://github.com/encukou/ipa-tools/ --
it's automation for some of the processes described at and around
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Contribute

"Our CI" here means a Jenkins instance in Red Hat's internal lab. We're
sorry it's not visible yet -- too much other work to do :(
The configuration is available, though
(https://github.com/encukou/freeipa-ci), and I'd be happy to help if
you'd like to set up a CI machine.

--