[Freeipa-devel] LDAP schema for DNSSEC keys

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu May 1 14:10:41 UTC 2014

On 04/30/2014 10:19 AM, Petr Spacek wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> following text summarizes schema & DIT layout for DNSSEC key storage
> in LDAP.
>
> This is subset of full PKCS#11 schema [0]. It stores bare keys with
> few metadata attributes when necessary.
>
> The intention is to make transition to full PKCS#11-in-LDAP schema [0]
> as easy as possible. This transition should happen in next minor
> version of FreeIPA.
>
> In theory, the transition should be just adding few object classes to
> existing objects and populating few new metadata attributes. Related
> object classes are marked below with "(in long-term)".
>
> Please comment on it soon. We want to implement it ASAP :-)
>

> DNSSEC key
> ==========
> - Asymmetric
> - Private key is stored in LDAP as encrypted PKCS#8 blob
> - Public key is published in LDAP
> - Encrypted with symmetric "DNSSEC master key" (see below)
> - Private key - represented as LDAP object with object classes:
> ipaEPrivateKey  [1] # encrypted data
> ipaWrappedKey   [2] # pointer to master key, outside scope of pure
> PKCS#11
> ipk11PrivateKey [3] (in long-term) # PKCS#11 metadata
> - Public key - represented as LDAP object with object classes:
> ipaPublicKey    [1] # public key data
> ipk11PublicKey  [3] (in long-term) # PKCS#11 metadata
>

> Master key
> ==========
> - Symmetric
> - Stored in LDAP as encrypted blob
> - Encrypted with asymmetric "replica key" (see below)
> - 1 replica = 1 blob, n replicas = n blobs encrypted with different keys
> - A replica uses it's own key for master key en/decryption
> - Represented as LDAP object with object classes:
> ipaESecretKey  [1]
> ipk11SecretKey [3] (in long-term)
>
> Replica key
> ===========
> - Asymmetric
> - Private key is stored on replica's disk only
> - Public key for all replicas is stored in LDAP
> - Represented as LDAP object with object classes:
> ipaPublicKey   [1]
> ipk11PublicKey [3] (in long-term)
>

> DIT layout
> ==========
>  DNSSEC key material
>  -------------------
>  - Container: cn=keys, cn=sec, cn=dns, dc=example
>  - Private and public keys are stored as separate objects to
> accommodate all PKCS#11 metadata.
>  - We need to decide about object naming:
>   - One obvious option for RDN is to use uniqueID but I don't like it.
> It is hard to read for humans.
>   - Other option is to use uniqueID+PKCS#11 label or other attributes
> to make it more readable. Can we use multi-valued RDN? If not, why?
> What are technical reasons behind it?

I would encourage you not to use multi-valued RDNs.  There aren't any
technical reasons - multi-valued RDNs are part of the LDAP standards and
all conforming LDAP implementations must support them.  However, they
are hard to deal with - you _must_ have some sort of DN class/api on the
client side to handle them, and not all clients do - many clients expect
to be able to just do dnstr.lower() == dnstr2.lower() or possibly do
simple escaping.

As far as being human readable - the whole goal is that humans _never_
have to look at a DN.  If humans have to look at and understand a DN to
accomplish a task, then we have failed.

Has the DogTag team reviewed this proposal?  Their data storage and
workflows are similar.