[Freeipa-devel] Supported Staged entries

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Tue May 27 18:18:34 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-05-27 at 21:14 +0300, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> On Tue, 27 May 2014, Simo Sorce wrote:

> >> yes that is correct.
> >> Does it address the security concern, if the operator that is allowed to
> >> add in 'staging'/'pre-active' is different from the one allowed to move
> >> the entry in 'active' ?
> >
> >Well it really depends on 'who' the operator is.
> >
> >We would like to be able to allow a 'junior admin/helpdesk person' to
> >just press a button to activate a user, but that shouldn't drive our
> >design if it makes other things clumsy or suboptimal.
> >
> >The less privileged operator problem can always be solved by a
> >middle-man script that has higher privileges. So we nee to give priority
> >to getting the workflow right in terms of the way it works.
> >
> >I think re-creating the user object gives us better chances at handling
> >the overall workflow and fixing up entries accordingly to the management
> >framework view of what a user needs to look like, so in the end I prefer
> >that route.
> I agree. It also opens us a way to handle import of any foreign schema
> person if staged object uses extensibleObject object class where we are
> in control of what exactly will get into the actual tree.

Right it allows us to do things like filter out objectclass or
attributes the provisioning system adds but that the admin does not want
in the final entry. This is not something we may want to build into the
solution from day zero, but it gives us the option to build it more
easily, as a framework filter on the 'unstage' operation.
(We so need to be able to copy additional objectclasses and their
attributes from day 0 though).