[Freeipa-devel] New Feature Template

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Fri Nov 7 09:14:57 UTC 2014

Hello all,

Most developers involved in 4.1.0 design updates already know, but we updated
the Feature Template to better fit the needs of the project. See

http://www.freeipa.org/page/Feature_template

Major changes:
- The main shift is that we want the design pages to be readable by both
developers, but also the users. Especially the Overview, Use Cases, high level
part of Design and the new How to Test section need to be understandable for
them. This is after all the main and only upstream documentation of the feature
so it needs to be ready for external consumers.

- There is a new wiki template for creating the Feature Box in the top of the
page, see for example http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/OTP. Main goal is to
provide a link from the feature to the release and trac ticket. I went through
and updated most of 4.0.0 and 4.1.0 designs to have this box, this has
immediate benefit of not only being more clear, but also with "What Links Here"
part of releases pages being quite interesting:

http://www.freeipa.org/page/Special:WhatLinksHere/Releases/4.0.0
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Special:WhatLinksHere/Releases/4.1.0

- Some sections of the previous template were not used in most design pages so
they were just converted to optional subsections.

- (minor) header level was changed from "= Header =" to "== Header ==". Wiki
pages are not really supposed to "=" level of headers as it generates <h1> tag
and there should be just one such tag - page title.

Any other improvements or comments welcome.

--
Martin Kosek <mkosek at redhat.com>
Supervisor, Software Engineering - Identity Management Team