[Freeipa-devel] FreeIPA Copr repo plan

thierry bordaz tbordaz at redhat.com
Mon Nov 10 16:27:05 UTC 2014

On 11/10/2014 04:26 PM, Martin Kosek wrote:
> On 11/10/2014 01:49 PM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 12:07:46PM +0100, Martin Kosek wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> Some time ago we started managing FreeIPA Copr repos (mkosek/freeipa) with a
>>> target to have the latest greatest FreeIPA available for older arches (read -
>>> RHEL/CentOS) and to allow people using older stable Fedoras (read - Fedora 20)
>>> try FreeIPA 4.0+ releases which brought in several dependencies.
>>>
>>> So far this was a more ad hoc approach, I think a more firm plan and tools are
>>> due. I see several questions that needs to be decided:
>>>
>>> 1) What Copr repos do we want to maintain and what should be the expectations?
>>> My take:
>>>
>>> a) mkosek/freeipa: latest and greatest *released* FreeIPA. Built for F20+,
>>> EPEL-7.0. Jan, this is the one you use in the FreeIPA CentOS container, right?
>>> Does it fit your needs?
>> +1
>>
>>> b) Branch repos: as mkosek/freeipa Copr repo would contain only the latest and
>>> greatest release, would it make sense to have a Copr repo with *releases* per
>>> supported branch to give users a choice? I.e.
>>> * mkosek/freeipa-4.1
>>> * mkosek/freeipa-4.0
>>> These repos are there already, but not used consistently. I do not think we
>>> should build all the dependency chain (too much overhead) for older systems
>>> (F20/EPEL). But I assume we could at least build the freeipa SRPM itself for
>>> these systems if it uses "mkosek/freeipa" as additional build root in Copr.
>> Is it worth it? Is the older supported branch some kind of LTM or just
>> happens to be alive because of some Fedora or RHEL release using it?
>>
>> I think there is value in providing early access to RHEL/CentOS users
>> prior to dumping the RPMs onto them, but maintaining the repos is hard,
>> I think we should only commit to this work if there is a use-case.
> In this particular case we wanted to have a repo to build FreeIPA 4.0.x given
> that mkosek/freeipa repo already contained 4.1. The purpose was to provide
> option to people who do not want to update to early 4.1.0 yet.
DS is building the latest and greatest release in copr.
I am using this DS repo to test it against IPA 4.0.x  and IPA 4.1.x latests.
Currently I am building IPA latests (srpms+rpms) on my own copr repos,
so with a risk of taking wrong dependencies.
I would prefer to have a global per supported branches copr repos, like
mkosek/freeipa-4-0...

thanks
thierry