[Freeipa-devel] Compat tree permissions

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Wed Sep 3 11:28:26 UTC 2014

> On Wed, 03 Sep 2014, Martin Kosek wrote:

>>> My point was that if we are hiding from anonymous access even the fact
>>> that certain user or group exists
>>
>> Are we?
> I was under impression we've followed the change requested by some our
> users to knock down anonymous access completely but I still see
>
> # FIXME: We need to allow truly anonymous access only to NIS data for
> # older clients. We need to allow broad access to most attributes only
> # to authenticated users
>
> in install/share/default-aci.ldif
>
> Maybe it is time to do so?

Not sure about this FIXME comment, we already show most attributes to
authenticated users only, we only show the very basic POSIX attributes. You can
check yourself with

# ipa permission-find "Read User"

>>> 4.0.x where your existing clients using non-bound version will stop
>>> authorizing sudo commands. And this issue is huge.
>>
>> Right, this affects Legacy clients feature, makes our ipa-advise insufficient.
> Means we should improve the advices.

ipa-advise would then need to refer to some common system account + it's
password it would bind with. Should we file RFE? Is this a right move?

Martin