[Freeipa-devel] design review: Certificate Profiles

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Fri Apr 17 18:56:28 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-04-17 at 14:08 +0200, Martin Kosek wrote:
> On 04/16/2015 10:03 AM, Fraser Tweedale wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Please review my Certificate Profiles design proposal:
> > http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Certificate_Profiles
> >
> > Let me know what is unclear, what needs expansion, and what is plain
> > wrong :)
> >
> > The schema for storing multiple certificates for a principal is
> > still being discussed but I expect it will be agreed soon, and I
> > will add it to the document.
> >
> > I am revising the sub-CAs design proposal and it will soon be
> > published for review as well.
>
> 1) here did you get this feature template? It is the one that is obsolete
> (header levels, document structure, missing author in the box)... This is the
> right template:
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/Feature_template
>
> 2) I miss certprofile-find command - to enable Web UI and/or CLI to search
> through existing profiles.
>
> 3) Permissions
> So your plan is to allow different groups use different profiles? So there
> would be for example profiles allowed to all users (something like
> userCattegory:all that we use for HBAC/SUDO)? How do you plan to deal with
> authorization? Will be on a FreeIPA framework level or for example by DS ACIs
> that would simply not show the profiles?

Keep in mind our design philosophy from the start was: the framework
only have the privileges of the user accessing it and makes no ACI
decisions.

We broke that abstraction with the RA agent stuff, but I plan on fixing
it some days by taking it away from the framework again, so I would not
be favorable to see more Access control implemented in the framework
unless there is no other sane way.

Simo.