[Freeipa-devel] user-friendly 'IPA internal error' message

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Wed Apr 22 07:05:14 UTC 2015

Hello,

looking at freeipa-users list, following kind of conversation is quite common:

user: 'IPA reports an internal error, what should I do?'
dev: 'see HTTPd error log on the IPA server'
user: 'what server?'
dev: 'enable debugging on client and see which server was contacted'

Can we make InternalError more useful and eliminate this kind of ping-pong?

Looking at sources:
$ git grep 'class .*InternalError'
ipalib/errors.py:class InternalError(PublicError):
ipalib/errors.py:class ServerInternalError(PublicError):

$ git grep ServerInternalError
ipalib/errors.py:class ServerInternalError(PublicError):
ipalib/errors.py:    >>> raise ServerInternalError(server='https://localhost')
ipalib/errors.py:    ServerInternalError: an internal error has occurred on
server at 'https://localhost'

Apparently somebody was thinking about it in the past but ServerInternalError
is not used anywhere.

How hard would it be to translate InternalError on client side to
ServerInternalError with appropriate server name?

Can we extend InternalError with text like this?
'See httpd error log on server %s for more details.'

Does it make sense? Should I open a ticket about this?

--
Petr^2 Spacek