[Freeipa-devel] kra an ca instance installation

Jan Cholasta jcholast at redhat.com
Tue Aug 25 13:52:21 UTC 2015

On 25.8.2015 15:37, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-08-25 at 11:34 +0200, Jan Cholasta wrote:

>>> ca.py and kra.py are the proper files ready to be migrated to the new
>>> install framework, cainstance.py and krainstance.py will be removed.
>>
>> ... once the migration is done. (Hit send button too fast.)
>>
>> The motivation is that *instance.py do not provide a uniform interface,
>> have a lot of redundant and duplicate stuff and are generally unfit for
>> any further extension.
>
> I have been changing only the instance files, so we are going in
> different directions.

I don't see how, {ca,kra}instance.py code is called from {ca,kra}.py.
{ca,kra}.py contains all the code that is actually needed to install
CA/KRA that is not in {ca,kra}instance.py and was previously scattered
around ipa-{server,replica,ca,kra}-install.

> I do not really care what file we are going into, but there is a lot of
> code in the installer now that does not tell the user a step is being
> done, while instances do that through the step interface.

This code was always there, we only moved it to a single location. See
git history.

> The step interface is also a very good way to let someone that read the
> code see what is going on and follow each step.
>
> Are you proposing to stop going through the instances steps ? I found
> the current way kra and ca installation is setup basically a regression,
> it took me a *lot* longer that it should be needed to follow through all
> the steps that are really taken.

Again, we only moved the code around, and I don't think we created any
regressions.

--
Jan Cholasta