[Freeipa-devel] Postponing Topology feature

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Fri Jul 3 06:44:47 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I had several offline discussions about the Topology feature [1] and what to do
with it. Many developers worked pretty hard on making the Topology usable for
the upcoming FreeIPA 4.2 release, however, it still misses some of the
functionality that would prevent our users from making the best of it.

Namely:
1) Dogtag Topology management: https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3053
2) Replica Promotion: https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/2888
3) Graphical topology view: https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/4286

While 3) is mostly an eye candy, without 1) and 2) the current Topology does
not have sufficient value for our users to ship it. Also, there could be
upgrade issues when 1) is implemented and we may need to introduce another
Domain Level.

So what we thought would make most sense for FreeIPA 4.2 is to simply release
without Topology functionality and postpone it to next version which could
follow FreeIPA 4.2 within 1-2 months.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but don't worry - Topology is not going anywhere,
it's coming! (Just a bit later and with more bells and whistles)

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/4302

--
Martin Kosek <mkosek at redhat.com>
Supervisor, Software Engineering - Identity Management Team