[Freeipa-devel] my remaining 4.2 tickets

Fraser Tweedale ftweedal at redhat.com
Fri Jul 3 13:33:14 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 03, 2015 at 08:23:45AM +0200, Martin Kosek wrote:
> On 07/02/2015 05:58 PM, Jan Cholasta wrote:
> >Hi,

> >>I haven't looked at this yet.
> >
> >FYI getcert supports setting EKU in the CSR using the -U option for a long
> >time. It also correctly passes the profile to IPA since 0.78.

> >>I investigated this.  My comments are on the ticket:
> >>https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/4970#comment:7 but in brief:
> >>the way our current SAN support is implemented makes this a
> >>non-trivial ticket.
> >
> >On a related note, I think we should also always include kerberos principal
> >name SAN.
>
> That would be nice, how difficult is to enable this with certificates
> FreeIPA issues? It would also let us make easier principal-based queries for
> Dogtag certificates. Right?

We could do it with a new ProfileInput class in Dogtag, possibly
(probably) also requiring a new ProfileDefault class, and of course
and update of the included profile(s) where we want this behaviour.

I have a bolder vision for the future of Dogtag/IPA integration.  I
have had a some thoughts brewing in my mind for a while, ready to
unleash after rhel72 crunch, but oh well, now you are making me
reveal my ideas, hopefully not too prematurely :)

    In the medium-term we want to connect Dogtag (components
    thereof) to the IPA directory to read and enforce caacls.  We
    also wish to use s4u2proxy to avoid all-powerful RA Agent cert
    and have Dogtag act with authenticated principal's authority.

    Since we will be talking to the IPA directory, we can create new
    profile components that read information directly out of the IPA
    directory.  This will make it much simpler to pull fancy
    extension data or other information into certificates issued by
    Dogtag, all defined by profiles.

    These components can even be shipped as part of FreeIPA, as only
    FreeIPA-provided profiles would use them, and I believe it is
    fairly straightforward to tell Dogtag about "3rd-party" classes.
    This gives us agility to include support for pulling data from
    IPA directory into certificates without depending on Dogtag
    release cycle.

    This sort of regime may also make it easier to tackle the
    desired "profile builder" feature.

    Finally, since it is JVM .class files we will be shipping we can
    write it using FP in Scala ^_^

Cheers,
Fraser