[Freeipa-devel] Time-Based Account Policies

Matúš Honěk mhonek at redhat.com
Fri Jul 10 11:12:10 UTC 2015

> On Fri, 10 Jul 2015, Stanislav Laznicka wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Long time no post from me, time to make it up to you.
> Welcome back!
>
>> I have been working on the the implementation of the design of time
>> policies for HBAC rules on FreeIPA and SSSD sides. Attached is the
>> current state of the FreeIPA solution. My comments and notes to the
>> solution follow.
>>
>> The FreeIPA side backend base for time policies in HBAC seems working
>> to me but still needs formal testing. Also, there is no conversion
>> from the iCal format as previously requested and I personally would
>> postpone this feature until the time policies functionality is rock
>> solid.
>>
>> There were some uncertainties in the design as well. I ran into 2 of
>> these but more may come.
>>
>> The first thing is how to deal with weeks in a month. There are two
>> possibilities. A week in month (as specified by the weekofmonth
>> keyword in the time policies) may be understood as a period of time
>> between two Sundays, so when a month starts on, say, Friday the 1st,
>> weekofmonth=1 would specify days Friday, Saturday, Sunday and anything
>> from that Sunday on would be a weekofmonth=2 and on. However, I think
>> a week in a month may also be considered a period of time that equals
>> 7 days of a month. In the previous example, a weekofmonth=1 would
>> therefore also apply to the following days up until Friday the 8th,
>> excluding this last day. Although I implemented the first case in the
>> SSSD, I actually started thinking the second case scenario might be
>> the right or "better" one.
> One thing you need to realize that there is no universal 'week starts on
> Sunday'.
> There are different ways of starting a week, some countries do it on
> Sunday, some -- on Saturday, some -- on Monday. This means you need to
> make possible to pull in a locale definition if you really want this
> functionality and then it also becomes quite fuzzy as there are legal
> definitions of what a week is (as well as a month and a work day).
I would definitely go with using the locales for deciding (same for
weeks of year, etc.). With addition to that I would, personally, also
make it clear to see the exact description of the policy currently in
use, on the WebUI and CLI (if it is possible, of course). Maybe it is
just me but I have no idea how to decide when is the first week of a
month, even in my locale. (if it is already there then act as if I have
said nothing)

--
Matúš Honěk