[Freeipa-devel] Replace stageuser-add --from-delete with user-undel --to-staged

Martin Basti mbasti at redhat.com
Mon Jul 27 15:59:33 UTC 2015

On 23/07/15 14:43, Martin Basti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tried to fix #5145 and I partially succeeded.
>
> However, I cannot fix this part of ticket, where user is prompted to
> write name and surname.
>
> $ ipa stageuser-add tuser --from-delete
> First name: this will be ignored
> Last name: this will be also ignored
> ------------------------
> Added stage user "tuser"
> ------------------------
>
> As the first name and last name are mandatory attributes of
> stageuser-add command, but they are not needed by when the
> --from-delete option is used.
> I would like to ask how to fix this issue, IMO this will be huge hack
> in internal API. Or should we just document this bug as known issue
> (thierry wrote that this is not use case that should be used often)?
>
> The best solution would be separate command, but this idea was
> rejected in thread "[Freeipa-devel] User life cycle: question
> regarding the design"
>
> Regards
> Martin^2

Hello,

as was mentioned before, we have issue with current internal API and the
stageuser-add --from-delete command.

We discussed this today, and we did not find a nice way how to fix it,
so we propose this (which is IMO the best solution):

* stageuser-add --from-delete should be deprecated
* create new option for user-undel: used-undel --to-staged  (or create
new command) that will handle moving deleted users to staged area as
--from-delete did.

Instead of stageuser-add and option --from-delete, which work totally
different, the command user-undel does similar operation than stage-user
--from-delete, it just uses different container.

We need to do this in 4.2.1 to affect as least as possible users.

If you have any objections, please speak/write :)
Martin^2

--
Martin Basti