[Freeipa-devel] Replace stageuser-add --from-delete with user-undel --to-staged

Jan Cholasta jcholast at redhat.com
Tue Jul 28 10:34:07 UTC 2015

Dne 28.7.2015 v 11:36 Lenka Doudova napsal(a):

> Dne 28.7.2015 v 11:27 Jan Cholasta napsal(a):

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> as was mentioned before, we have issue with current internal API and the
>>> stageuser-add --from-delete command.
>>>
>>> We discussed this today, and we did not find a nice way how to fix it,
>>> so we propose this (which is IMO the best solution):
>>>
>>> * stageuser-add --from-delete should be deprecated
>>
>> +1
>>
>>> * create new option for user-undel: used-undel --to-staged  (or create
>>> new command) that will handle moving deleted users to staged area as
>>> --from-delete did.
>>
>> Make it new command please.
>>

>>> Instead of stageuser-add and option --from-delete, which work totally
>>> different, the command user-undel does similar operation than stage-user
>>> --from-delete, it just uses different container.
>>
>> NACK on stuffing everything into a single command just because it does
>> something similar.
>
> How about making it a 'stageuser-undel'? The 'user-undel' moves
> preserved user to active, so the 'stageuser-undel' would move preserved
> to staged. The action is similar, but has slightly different specifics
> (which attributes are preserved etc.), and for me the 'stageuser-undel'
> feels more natural than 'user-undel --to-staged' since it's basically
> the same as there is 'stageuser-add' for creating a staged user, not
> 'user-add --to-staged'. It would be in the same style as all the other
> commands concerning operations with users in staged container.

Well, user-undel is the opposite of user-del, and stageuser-undel should
be the opposite of stageuser-del. The stageuser-undel you are suggesting
is not.

Also I'm not sure if we want to (always) remove the deleted user once a
staged user is created from it, but -undel behaves like that.

I don't think the command should be limited to deleted users only.
Active and deleted users share the same namespace, so it is an arbitrary
limitation.

I think that what we are looking for is the opposite of
stageuser-activate. So maybe user-stage?

--
Jan Cholasta