[Freeipa-devel] Purpose of default user group

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Tue Mar 10 16:08:21 UTC 2015

Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2015, Petr Spacek wrote:

>>> yes, but those means usually specify both AD and IPA users, right?
>>>
>>> I always thought "ipausers" is a handy shortcut for selecting IPA users
>>> only and not AD users.
>>
>> I always thought that "ipausers" is an equivalent of "domain users" in AD
>> world (compare with "Trusted domain users").
>>
>> In my admin life I considered "domain users" to be useful alias for real
>> authenticated user accounts (compare with "Everyone" = even
>> unauthenticated
>> access, "Authenticated users" = includes machine accounts too.)
>>

>> Moreover, getting rid of ipausers does not help with 'big groups
>> problem' in
>> any way. E.g. at university you are almost inevitably going to have
>> groups
>> like 'students' which will contain more than 90 % of users anyway.
> For what use we need this distinction in IPA itself?
> - ACI (permissions) have separate notion to describe
>  anonymous/any authenticated dichotomy
> - HBAC has 'all' category for users which in HBAC context means all
>  authenticated users
>
> Where else we would need ipausers other than default POSIX group which
> we are not using it for?

Petr's point is that deleting ipausers is a short-term solution that
ignores the underlying problem.

But yeah, ipausers is a solution looking for a problem AFAIK. It was a
future-proofing move because if we ever decided we needed on, slurping
in all the users at once and adding to some common group would be
time-consuming.

rob