[Freeipa-devel] proposal: new API command to list IPA servers

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Thu May 21 14:29:10 UTC 2015

Petr Vobornik wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> proposal is to create following two commands:
>
>    ipa server-find
>    ipa server-show FQDN
>
> These commands will display a list of IPA servers stored in
> cn=masters,cn=ipa,cn=etc,$SUFFIX
>
> No mod and add commands atm. They could be added when needed. Installed
> service won't be shown as well.;
>
> Main reasons for adding them are:
>
> 1. let people know what they could enter in:
>     ipa topologysegment-add SUFFIX --leftnode=NODE --rightnode=NODE
> 2. web ui needs this info to offer a list of IPA servers for the same
> task as in #1
> 3. it's convenient
>
> In Brno, we had an offline discussion about the object name and 'server'
> was a winner. Other discussed candidates were: topologynode, node,
> master, replica, topologyserver, managedserver. Server was chosen because:
> - IPA server is commonly used
> - works well with other terminology/commands, e.g. ipa-server-install
> - is not bound to topology (in comparison to replica or master)
> - is short
> - works well with future installation of server parts like CA through API
>
> Adding Rob and Simo to CC explicitly so they could object if they wish ;)

Kudos for including the reasoning. I still lean more towards master but
don't object too much to server given the reasoning. My only hesitation
to server is that it is a rather generic term but it seems like a CLI
user will quickly learn the difference between host and server so it
should be ok.

+1

rob