[Freeipa-devel] [Design Review Request] V4/Automatic_Certificate_Request_Generation

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Thu Aug 25 20:11:13 UTC 2016

Ben Lipton wrote:
> On 08/23/2016 03:54 AM, Jan Cholasta wrote:

>>> I have a proof of concept[1] for using openssl-based rules to add a
>>> subject alt name extension without using openssl's knowledge of that
>>> extension. It's not extremely pretty, and it took some trial and error,
>>> but no code changes. So, I think this actually is a difference between
>>> the two proposals.
>>
>> With the obvious catch being that it works only with OpenSSL, which
>> might not work for everyone, e.g. when using HSMs or SmartCards, due
>> to a limited PKCS#11 support in OpenSSL.
>
> Very true. Even certutil's equivalent feature (--extGeneric) doesn't
> seem like it would work very well in this context, as you are supposed
> to pass in an already-encoded extension, so text-based templating
> wouldn't be able to do much.

Yeah, I struggled with this myself. I ended up writing a pyasn1 script
to generate the extension I needed, wrote that to a file, and passed it
to certutil using:

--extGeneric 2.5.29.17:not-critical:/path/to/msupn.der

>>> Next we have the easy case, extensions that we as FreeIPA developers
>>> know are important and build support for. For these, the two proposals
>>> work equivalently well, but yours is simpler to configure because the
>>> knowledge of how to make a san_rfc822name is built into the library
>>> instead of being stored on the server as a set of rules.
>>>
>>> Finally, we have the case of extensions that are known to the helper,
>>> but not to FreeIPA. In the existing proposal, new rules can be written
>>> to support these extensions under a particular helper. Further, those
>>> rules can be used by reference in many profiles, reducing duplication of
>>> effort/data/errors.
>>>
>>> As I understand it, the main objections in this thread are that
>>> transformation rules are implementation (i.e. helper) specific data
>>> stored in the IPA server, and that the system has several levels of
>>> schema when it could just embed rules in the profile. But without
>>> helper-specific rules, administrators could not take advantage of the
>>> additional extensions supported by the helper they are using.
>>
>> There is *no* advantage in forcing the user to choose between helpers
>> which differ only in the set of limitations on the CSR they are able
>> to produce. The user should specify a) where the private key is
>> located and b) what profile to use, and that's it, it should just work.
> Ok, this is a good point about usability. The user creating the CSR
> shouldn't have to care about helpers, and I agree that the current way
> they are exposed is clunky. I do think that an administrator creating
> custom rules might want to take advantage of a helper, so they wouldn't
> need to understand the ASN.1 representation of their chosen certificate
> extension. Of course, the desired extension might not be supported by
> the helper either. Since I don't know what specific extensions people
> will want to use this for, I don't know how to balance the better
> administrator experience of adding extensions via a helper with the
> limited extension support.
>
> The original reason we arrived at the concept of "helpers" was to
> support different ways of getting at private keys, but perhaps this
> should not be the concern of the CSR data generator. In your opinion,
> would it be sufficient to support just one key format (PKCS#12? PEM?)
> and let the user deal with putting those keys into whatever
> formats/databases they need? If that's ok, maybe we can stop having
> *multiple* helpers, but if we want to replace helpers entirely I'm still
> not certain what to replace them with.

I'd just add an option to specify the output format, e.g PEM, NSS, Java
keystore, PKCS#12, whatever.You can probably get away with the first two
for starters. Different output format is going to mean different options
but that is probably not a big deal.

Remember that the private key will be at rest for some period of time
while the CSR is being approved. The key needs to be protected at that time.

rob