[Freeipa-devel] [freeipa PR#25] Added install check before executing ipa-* command (comment)

pspacek freeipa-github-notification at redhat.com
Tue Aug 30 08:51:58 UTC 2016

pspacek commented on a pull request

"""
All this is consequence of nonsensical defaults in ipalib.constants module. I would say that this needs to be fixed in a systematic way and not by scattering ifs around.

IMHO we need to drop nonsensical defaults form ipalib.constants module and handle missing values in API initialization. We should throw out exception if API cannot be initialized because of missing values (and/or failing auto-detection, depending on parameters in constructor) instead of scattering ifs around.

For example:
Right now the only way to trigger server auto-selection using DNS SRV record is to delete server= definition from default.conf. Of course, it is broken and it tries localhost first and fallbacks to auto-detected server after that, but it works somehow. If we scatter ifs around it will break in some other interesting way.

I'm still waiting for branching ipa-4-4. After that I can send my patch which removes some of crazy defaults from ipalib.constants.
"""

See the full comment at https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/25#issuecomment-243374973