[Freeipa-devel] [freeipa PR#317][comment] Unify password generation across FreeIPA

tiran freeipa-github-notification at redhat.com
Thu Dec 8 16:47:51 UTC 2016

Title: #317: Unify password generation across FreeIPA

tiran commented:
"""
@mbasti-rh I probably misunderstood your intention. I read your comment as "Replace it with something sane, the sane thing is sha1".

By the way I'm currently tangled up in a twitter discussion about Python's new secrets module and entropy. The module doc has a nice recipe to generate passwords with special properties https://docs.python.org/3.6/library/secrets.html#recipes-and-best-practices . I asked a friend of mine and real (tm) cryptographer about entropy for black box tokens. He told me

> 128 if you don't care about quantum computing; 256 if you do

"""

See the full comment at https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/317#issuecomment-265789981