[Freeipa-devel] [freeipa PR#317][comment] Unify password generation across FreeIPA

pspacek freeipa-github-notification at redhat.com
Mon Dec 12 10:49:50 UTC 2016

Title: #317: Unify password generation across FreeIPA

pspacek commented:
"""
The main problem here is that we are mixing two approaches together, i.e. entropy specification using bits + specification using character classes etc. which used to be means of expressing entropy requirements in a way understandable by ordinary users.

If I understand it correctly, the encoding here is just to please password-quality checkers because the real password strength should be provided by the `entropy` parameter.

So I propose to use character classes only for encoding but not during generation. That should simplify the code and make it easier to understand.
"""

See the full comment at https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/317#issuecomment-266397912