[Freeipa-devel] [freeipa PR#182][comment] Use env var IPA_CONFDIR to get confdir for 'cli' context

jcholast freeipa-github-notification at redhat.com
Thu Nov 10 08:59:22 UTC 2016

Title: #182: Use env var IPA_CONFDIR to get confdir for 'cli' context

jcholast commented:
"""
@tiran, setting `confdir` explicitly is not a hack, but the proper way to set the config directory path and there is nothing that makes the environment variable better as an API for integrators. I would argue that it's actually worse, because it is implicit and optimized towards the less common usage (everyone who wants to use the default path has to unset the variable now to make sure that's what they actually get), and while some software does indeed allow changing configuration using environment variables, there is other software (such as GNU grep) which is actually deprecating this way of changing configuration.

If majority of people think it is a good idea, I won't push back, but NACK on respecting the variable only in specific contexts.
"""

See the full comment at https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/182#issuecomment-259635859