[Freeipa-devel] [freeipa PR#182][comment] Use env var IPA_CONFDIR to get confdir for 'cli' context

tiran freeipa-github-notification at redhat.com
Thu Nov 10 11:56:34 UTC 2016

Title: #182: Use env var IPA_CONFDIR to get confdir for 'cli' context

tiran commented:
"""
Let me google that for you:

* https://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/latest/ar01s03.html
* https://web.mit.edu/kerberos/krb5-1.14/doc/admin/env_variables.html
* https://docs.python.org/2/using/cmdline.html#environment-variables
* https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/user_guide/#environment-variables

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environment_variable defines env vars as
>  Environment variables are a set of dynamic named values that can affect the way running processes will behave on a computer.

Examples
* local installation in a virtual environment
* unified experience for non-root configuration
* user shell session with custom KRB5 and IPA settings
* Ansible playbook modules
* application in a root-less container that cannot write to /etc (OpenShift)
* unit and integration tests with custom config file location

You can find more detailed examples in my integration document.
"""

See the full comment at https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/182#issuecomment-259671810