[Freeipa-devel] Design document: Integration Improvements: ipaplatform

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Wed Nov 16 13:01:12 UTC 2016

On 11.11.2016 15:25, Christian Heimes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have released the first version of a new design document. It describes
> how I'm going to improve integration of FreeIPA's client libraries
> (ipalib, ipapython, ipaclient, ipaplatform) for third party developers.
>
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Integration_Improvements

Looking at
http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Integration_Improvements#Scope
the first step is to make ipalib functional.

I think that correct approach is to inspect ipalib and its dependencies and
reshuffle code in a way which will allow us to remove ipaplatform dependency
from ipalib.

That way we can have platform-independent ipalib and at the same time use
configure phase to auto-generate platform stuff. In long-term we should be
able to get rid of explicit ipaplatform definitions and have these generated
at build time for particular platform the build is running on.

That will make porting to other distros way easier and remove implicit
dependency on particular paths hard-coded in platform files.

--
Petr^2 Spacek