[Freeipa-devel] [freeipa PR#254][comment] Replace LooseVersion with parse_ipa_version()

tiran freeipa-github-notification at redhat.com
Fri Nov 18 13:39:40 UTC 2016

Title: #254: Replace LooseVersion with parse_ipa_version()

tiran commented:
"""
> I was thinking about this a bit, and was wondering whether the platform-specific idiosyncracies of the version handling could be safely confined to the platform-specific code. I.E ipaplatform.base would define version comparisons via standard pkg_resources parser and fedora/redhat would override this with their platform-specific quirks.

Somebody used a time machine and implemented your proposal already. ```tasks.parse_ipa_version()``` is a generic version parsing function. On RPM platforms it returns an object that uses ```librpm```.

IMHO it's ok to use ```tasks.parse_ipa_version()``` everywhere.
"""

See the full comment at https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/254#issuecomment-261533679