[Freeipa-devel] client-only FreeIPA build

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Tue Nov 22 15:29:52 UTC 2016

On 22.11.2016 16:27, Jan Cholasta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 22.11.2016 16:04, Petr Spacek wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> the recent changes with regard to
>> http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Integration_Improvements
>> beg a question whether we should invest into supporting client-only builds in
>> FreeIPA build system.
>>
>> Right now, FreeIPA can be built on all architectures we care about so there is
>> no incentive to invest into client-only build - this applies to binary/RPM
>> builds.
>
> Client-only build lowers the barrier for porting IPA to new platforms (porting
> only client code is *much* easier than porting the whole thing), so I would
> very much prefer if we kept it.

Understood.

Wondering out loud: What prevents the "porter" from doing full build and then
packaging only client bits? Yes, he has to install come of the dependencies
for the build to pass but still, it is way easier than actually making server
fully functional.

Petr, are you going to allocate time for this soonish or should I open a
ticket and forget about it for now?

--
Petr^2 Spacek